It goes without saying that welcoming a new baby changes your life in a myriad of ways…especially when it comes to your on-the-go essentials. Sure, it might feel like you’ll never be able to leave the house again without packing an arsenal of baby must-haves; but then again, who doesn’t like adding a new stylish bag to their collection? With a growing market to meet the demand for stylish, comfortable, and convenient diaper bags, you can now get the functionality you need without compromising the fashion style you want.
However, with so many options, how do you choose the one that’s right for you?
What to Look for in a Diaper Bag
Aside from finding a style you love, there are a few basic factors to consider when deciding which diaper bag to buy. To start, consider your lifestyle and the amount of time you plan to be on the go.
How much stuff do you need to carry? Do you have three or four kids in tow all the time or do you insist on packing the whole house for a grocery run? Diaper bags come in different sizes and you’ll want to make sure that you choose the right size for your needs so that you don’t have to carry multiple bags.Other features to look for might include:
- Insulated Pockets
- Multiple Storage Compartments
- Easy-to-Clean Fabrics
- Accessories like Stroller Clips & Changing Pads
- Ergonomic Design for All-Day Comfort
- Styles that Fit Masculine, Feminine, or Gender Neutral Goals
Shoulder Diaper Bags
The traditional diaper bag style features sizable storage space with different pockets and a shoulder strap for convenient carrying. While at first some dads felt awkward sporting the pink over-the-shoulder bag, today’s designs feature an array of neutral options specifically for dad duty.
What we love about tote-style shoulder baby bags:
- They’re large and they hold a lot of stuff.
- It’s a traditional look with no shortage of stylish designs.
- Good, all-around choice for all occasions.
What to consider before buying a shoulder baby bag:
- They’re a little harder to manage when you only have two hands and a lot of gear.
- Although they hold a lot, they’re not that ergonomic so they can be a pain to carry.
Backpack Diaper Bags
New to the diaper bag scene is the trendy, backpack style designed to help parents carry everything they need comfortably. Backpack diaper bags carry all the baby essentials in a convenient, over-the-back style bag.
What we love about diaper bag backpack options:
- They’re perfect for families on the go. There’s no need to pack two bags if you want to take a hike.
- They’re better for your back. Baby bags can easily end up weighing a lot. With this style, you can distribute the weight more evenly across your body instead of slumping down one shoulder.
What to consider before buying a diaper backpack:
- Backpacks can be overly casual. You may end up buying two separate diaper bags anyways if you plan to attend formal events or spend a lot of time in dressier environments. It’s almost hard to imagine someone who wears a suit to work every day showing up at the sitter with a backpack diaper bag.
- Space is a little more limited. Even a large diaper bag backpack probably won’t hold as much as a tote-style bag.
The Verdict: Which One is Best?
When it comes to choosing the best diaper bags, backpack and tote-style bags both have their upsides. Shoulder bags provide a classic look while backpack styles are convenient for moms on the go. Ultimately, it comes down to a matter of personal preference. Both styles are available in designer options. Several bags in our collections even offer the flexibility to wear the same bag in different ways so that you’re not stuck choosing between the two. Wear the backpack-style strap for daily errands and then switch to a shoulder strap for more formal occasions. This versatility can be a lifesaver when you suddenly need to dress up your ‘baby-in-tow’ look without having to buy two different diaper bags. Shop our collection of designer diaper bags at Fawn Design today.