The idea of a soft, rich faux leather diaper bag that feels more like carrying a designer handbag than infant gear, can help take some of the “mom frump” away. Leather of any kind is a good choice. It’s a durable, high-quality material that doesn’t stain easily. But babies have been known to challenge that with their endless spit-up and diaper explosions. Therefore, faux leather diaper bags do require a little extra attention when it comes to their care. Let’s talk about the dos and don’ts of cleaning leather and how to make sure your leather baby bags keep their high-end look intact. Here's a look at how to keep leather baby bags clean.
How to Clean a Leather Handbag
The following are the essentials of cleaning a leather bag stain, whether we’re talking about a designer bag or a beautiful baby bag made with vegan leather.
- Wipe with a Damp Cloth: Gently remove dirt, spots, and stains by spot-cleaning the area with a soft, damp cloth. Leather can tolerate a little moisture, but you should never submerge it in water. Also, never put it in the washing machine. Use a circular motion or wipe with the grain of the leather.
- Use a Leather Cleaning Solution: There are plenty of commercial products available that are designed for cleaning leather and faux leather products. Any of those will work. But they may also be an added, unnecessary expense. Mild soap and distilled water work just as well. If you have a baby, you probably already have baby soap on hand.
- Let the Bag Air Dry: Set the bag aside. Allow the leather to fully dry for at least 60 minutes.
- Moisturize the Leather: Purchase a faux leather conditioner and oil the clean leather. Do not use hand lotion or oils that are not designed for leather. Work the conditioner into the leather and buff with a clean, soft cloth.
Tips for Cleaning a Diaper Bag, Washable Liner, or Leather Baby Bag
So, keeping the outside of your leather diaper bag looking great is a piece of cake. But the real messes happen on the inside. Some leather baby bags are specifically designed with a removable, washable liner that can be unzipped and thrown in the laundry.
If not, simply turn the liner inside out and spot clean. These liners are typically made from an easy-to-clean fabric that can be wiped down with a damp rag. Use these tips to get the stink out:
- Vacuum or Wipe Interior of Bag: Empty the contents and remove any little debris or lint from the interior of your bag.
- Place a Box of Baking Soda in the Bag: Open a small box of baking soda and put it inside the bag and let it sit overnight. Baking soda is a great way to absorb and neutralize stinky odors.
- Turn the Liner Inside Out and Disinfect: After you remove the baking soda, turn the liner inside out and gently shake to remove any remaining debris or baking soda. Then, mist with a spritz of white vinegar and allow to dry for disinfection.
- Repack your Diaper Bag: Once everything is dry, turn the liner right-side-out and repack your bag with baby essentials.
Keep your Leather Baby Bag Looking (and Smelling) Great
While the washing machine may be off-limits for your leather diaper bag, you don’t have to compromise on your baby-gear hygiene. Use a small vacuum attachment, baking soda, and white vinegar to clean the inside of your diaper bag and get rid of germs and odors. Then, gently wipe the exterior of the bag and use a mild soap and leather conditioner on the outside. The key to taking care of leather is to always balance water (damp-only) with conditioner (dry-only). Shop our collection of beautiful leather diaper bags exclusively for trendy mamas as now you know how to keep leather baby bags clean.